t is a feudal castle, includes reinforced moats, towers and a drawbridge.
Is name is changed into STEINERSTOCK.
It's a fortified castle.
The courtyard is entirely surrounded by farm buildings and barracks.
The moats of origin are preserved.
The castle was attacked by the Swedes without being caught.
The village is looted and burned.
The villagers are refugees at the castle.
Alsace, after the 30 years war, becomes French.
The castle is bought by the representative of the King of France in Alsace, Sieur Claudius Le Laboureur, President of the Sovereign Council of Alsace.
Jean Frederic de Schwengsfeld, general of the Royal d'Alsace, Infantry regiment of Louis XVI, bought the castle.
He died in 1783, his 4 sons inherited the castle in joint ownership.
During the French revolution, the Schwengsfeld sons leave their estate. Two of them join the army of Condé (counter-revolutionary) and a third son joins the duke of Enghien.
The castle and its lands (about 45 hectares) are requisitioned by the state.
The Mullenheim family is a very old family from Alsace.
On her return after the revolution, she bought the castle and began major renovations between 1830 and 1880.
Modification of the south facade, creation of the front door in full facade (coat of arms and dates)
Demolition of buildings, mostly farmhouse and barracks, which border the entire courtyard on 3 sides. The castle loses by the same its fortification. All that remains is the gatehouse, the chapel, and the fortification walls on the eastern side.
Baron de Mullenheim, from an old family of French officers left the region to join the French army. In front of the castle, on the site of the current sawmill, the German army has set up an airfield. The castle serves as a casino for officers of the German army.
The 2nd Armored Division has installed in the castle park an important stock of equipment. 3 guns participate in the so-called Battle of the Colmar Pocket.
In December 1944 a tank penetrates by the south bridge in the yard and violently hits the chapel. (see drawing in the dining room)
The recumbent ( Burgard de Mullenheim +1371) figures of the chapel are now on the walls of the porterie
During a bike ride I discover by chance the castle. A neighbor makes the presentation.
He has not been busy for years. It's love at first sight. Some months later we buy it. There is no need for a complete renovation: roofing, crepis, electricity, sanitary, heating etc ...